Pick a Fight to Motivate Your Team
I’ve been told I’m “good with people” but that didn’t make me naturally good at motivating others.
Motivating team members is an art. Every team member is different, as are their leaders. No wonder it’s hard to do it well.
And according to recent Gallup data, 65% of employees are disengaged at work. So it appears most leaders get it wrong no matter how well-intentioned they may be.
That’s where my friend David Burkus’s insights come in.
Pick a Fight
David Burkus is an expert in helping leaders thrive at work and motivate the people they lead, and the author of the award-winning book Under New Management.
I recently interviewed him about his latest audio book, Pick a Fight: How Great Teams Find a Purpose Worth Rallying Around, where we talked about:
- How leaders can engage their teams by “picking a fight” (it’s not what you think!)
- The 3 fights that people find most motivating and the one you should avoid
- How team members can apply the Pick a Fight principles to energize their own work
When you know how to motivate your team, great things happen for you, your team members and your organization:
- Important projects move forward more quickly
- Your team is engaged and produces substantially better results
- Your leadership performance and career will take a big step up
If you want practical advice to become a leader who knows how to motivate your team (and yourself), you’ll enjoy David’s new audio book on how to “pick a fight”.
Pick a Fight: How Great Teams Find a Purpose Worth Rallying Around
Another excellent piece! Thank you for this!!!
Excellent! Thank you May and David…am currently taking scissors and tape in hand and making my timeline:)