In any case, you can do and achieve more, and the world benefits when you bring your best self to work and indeed to all facets of your life. This is not about working harder or even smarter. It is about uncovering the strategies, tools and insights that allow you to bring the best parts of you to the table more of the time as you advance.
Strategies, tools and insights that allow you to bring the best parts of you to the table more of the time
- Your key career steps going forward
- What’s holding you back
- Potential “blind spots”
- Address the obstacles (real or perceived) that stand in your way
- Accelerate your transition to the next level of professional performance
- Speed your time to success
- “Swing out” and bring your whole self when “playing it safe” is holding you back
- Show up as someone who can take on an even bigger role
- Bring out the best in yourself, your teams and your organization
- Navigate the political landscape with greater confidence
- Live and work in a way that is true to yourself
- The new behaviors you need to adopt to be successful at the next level
- The old behaviors that you need to leave behind
- Ways to grow as a leader, and further improve your personal impact, presence and gravitas
Schedule your complimentary Chemistry Session to explore one-on-one coaching with May
- Executive Director, Investment Banking Firm
“Challenges me to be the best I can be”May challenges me to be the best I can be, more than I could ever challenge myself. May’s style is to facilitate my thinking and help me solve my own problems. She is seamless in how she does it. Give the man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats forever. May taught me to fish.MD, Global Investment Bank
“Now I feel more in control”Thank you for pointing out things I hadn’t realized were so obvious to others. It caused me to change the way I think about things. As a result, I’ve been able to move all of my relationships back on track, or at least in the right direction. Now I feel more in control. Without you addressing it, I’m not sure I would’ve gotten there on my own.Senior Executive, Media Company
“I see clearly what I have to do”Getting perspective from someone who knows the people involved and their psychology was key. An incredible listener. I now “get it” – I see clearly what I have to do. I feel emancipated. I know where I want to go and have drawn a line in the sand. I’m surprised by the quality of what we achieved.Executive Director, Investment Banking Advisory firm
May Chien Busch
Since retiring from her first career in 2008, she is now a coach, consultant and advisor for leaders and their organizations. Her mission is to help people get to the next level, overcome obstacles and accelerate their time to success.
In addition to her credibility as a business practitioner, May brings significant cross-cultural experience as an American-born Chinese with experience working in the US and UK with top executives across Europe and beyond.
As an executive coach and mentor, May brings 24 years of front-line corporate experience and expertise, most recently as COO of Morgan Stanley Europe, to help professionals overcome (often hidden) obstacles, advance to the next level in their careers, reach their full potential as leaders and achieve agreed-upon outcomes.
May is someone who:
- Has succeeded in a high-powered career and therefore “gets” you and the complexities you deal with, while also possessing the experience, instincts and training of an executive coach.
- Delivers a highly personalized and sophisticated experience tailored to your specific needs and style.
- Listens without judging, captures the nuance and can get you to “aha” moments.
- Is perceptive and not afraid to challenge you.
- Is prepared to be bold on your behalf and bolster your confidence and commitment, while holding you accountable to act.
- Helps you develop strategies and tools for addressing your most pressing issues.
As your coach, May is one of the few people you can trust to be completely in your corner and also to understand your context. Her role is to help you succeed professionally and personally in the way that you define success. May’s goal is to help you make the exponentially positive impact you were meant to make, and to have fun in the process.
- Seasoned business executive
- 24 years front-line corporate experience and expertise
- Former COO of Morgan Stanley Europe
- Founder of May Busch & Associates Ltd
- Advisor and educator
- Senior Advisor and Executive in Residence in the Office of the President at Arizona State University (ASU)
- Professor of Practice at the W.P. Carey School of Business, ASU
- Chair of The Idea Enterprise at ASU
- Breadth of cultural experience
- North American, UK and European clients
- Chinese heritage
- Corporate, professional services, higher education and entrepreneurial environments
- Education and training
- MBA from Harvard Business School
- BA magna cum laude in Economics from Harvard University
- Graduate of The Meyler Campbell Business Coach Program
- Thinking partner
- Executive coach
May is also a Senior Advisor and Executive in Residence in the Office of the President, and Professor of Practice at the W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University (ASU) where she consults and conducts workshops on leadership, entrepreneurship and career success. ASU is the largest public research university in the US and pioneer of a New American University model for higher education.
Prior to this, May enjoyed a 24-year career at Morgan Stanley spanning two continents and nine different business roles across Investment Banking, Capital Markets and Firm Management. For the great majority of her career, May held client relationship and line management roles. She was most recently Chief Operating Officer for Europe where she was responsible for the development and implementation of the Firm’s business strategy in Europe, Middle East and Africa.
She chaired the firm’s European Diversity Council, helped to develop its European Talent Management function, and was a member of Morgan Stanley’s European Management Committee as well as a Board Member of the Firm’s regulated UK broker dealer.
May is a graduate of The Meyler Campbell Business Coach Program, and earned a BA magna cum laude in Economics from Harvard University and an MBA from Harvard Business School. She is married with three children.
- Managing Directors of global financial institutions on leadership and advancement
- Senior Executive at a technology company on advancing to C-suite role
- Partner at a law firm on establishing and leading a new initiative
- Entrepreneur on shifting from startup mindset to CEO mindset
- General Counsel of a US Corporation on leadership and advancement
- Developing and implementing a Leadership Academy program for research scientists
- Working with financial services firm on series of strategy and leadership team offsites
- Advising the President of a non-profit institution on developing a sustainable pipeline of executive leaders
- Helping a financial advisory firm to create a performance culture
- Conducting a series of workshops on leadership for a media company
Who May Works With
They are successful people at critical points in their careers:
- Highly experienced senior professionals seeking their next era of meaningful work, having proven themselves in a distinguished, decades-long career (typically 20+ years of experience).
- Senior professionals who are either seeking or already in the midst of a major career and leadership transformation (typically 12+ years of experience).
- Smart, ambitious professionals driving up their career curve and seeking to advance to the next level while being true to themselves (typically 7+ years of experience).
- A desire to continue to advance and operate at your full potential, to be and do more, to learn and grow – you are open to and interested in positive change.
- A person of integrity with the capacity and desire to make a meaningful positive difference in your family, your organization and the world – we have a shared interest in doing what is meaningful and making a positive impact.
- A need for the experience, insight and unique ability that May brings to help you advance – you want to work with her.
How To Work With May
Initial “Chemistry Session”
Since success requires a strong partnership, an initial Chemistry Session without charge or obligation precedes any coaching assignment. This can take place in person (ideally), via Skype videoconference, or by phone and typically lasts about an hour.
Focuses on your specific needs, with an emphasis on:
- Career success and advancement, especially in transitions
- Leadership development
- Professional and personal development
For those who have a specific topic, initiative or issue they would like to work on, Coaching Intensives can be an efficient way to jump start the exploration process or turbo charge progress on something that they’ve been thinking about for some time.
Well suited to people seeking their next era of meaningful work as a way to initiate a subsequent engagement on a retainer basis.
- Two half-day one-on-one sessions designed to advance your progress in a tangible way
- Achieve clarity on your mission, strategy and action plan
- Create a framework for decision-making
- Based on May’s S-Curve Framework for Career Mastery™
- Can also be combined into one full-day session
- Uses pre-session assignments, and potentially assessment tools as needed
For those who prefer to work with a coach on an ongoing basis and/or want to have the flexibility to design a bespoke coaching experience.
Well suited to those who have had a Coaching Intensive and wish to continue their progress and momentum, as well as those who have completed a Leadership Coaching Package and would like to continue the work on a less structured basis.
- One-on-one coaching to achieve specific agreed-upon outcomes
- Can be used on a standalone basis, or as a follow on to other coaching offerings
- Four-month retainer renewable based on mutual agreement
For senior and high-potential executives advancing in their careers, this is a six-month coaching package designed to develop and improve leadership abilities, especially in the context of new assignments, and accelerate career advancement more broadly.
- Use of pre-session assessment tools (e.g., 360 interviews, Hogan Leadership Assessment)
- Six one-on-one sessions over a six-month period
- Four 90-minute sessions and two half-day intensive sessions
- Initial intensive to:
- Review the feedback from assessment tools
- Assess the current situation/context (including synthesis of feedback themes)
- Understand what success would look, feel and sound like
- Begin to explore the various paths for navigating the terrain in between
- Establish a strong foundation for working together
- Subsequent intensive to develop your personalized action plan including concrete steps toward achieving your goals
- Availability for interim calls as needed or, alternatively, “in action” observation (up to 3 hours) in your chosen business setting
- Availability by email as required
- Personalized action plan and next steps
- Progress update call 4-6 weeks after last session
- Joint sessions with you and your company sponsor(s), if any, at the start, middle and end of our coaching engagement to define and measure success